Blogger boggle

Welcome to Opengyan!

For resources related to preparation for examinations conducted by UPSC, go to this link : Start

Opinions shared here are personal and not related to my professional position or capacity. Aim is to work on improving lives of people, with truth and service.

Tuesday 26 January 2016

On coaching and first attempts

I had appeared for prelims in 2013 without any preparation whatsoever and realized that luck might help you one stage at a time but you need to prepare for the whole distance if you are serious. So, I got serious and left my job in September 2013 with all the bravado of going all in and clearing in first attempt. When I came to Delhi I had my savings and thought coaching here works like in JEE coaching. Clear cut syllabus, notes, homework question sheets, doubt clearing and rigorous tests. The classes first promise that they will help you all the way through and provide all of the above. So, as I was itching to pay them money, I did and later realized it would have been better to save it for next attempt :)
1. There is no clear cut syllabus for the exam. Any person who is trying to sell a course that will cover everything in syllabus is either lying or if it is true then that course will be going all over the place. Look at it from classes perspective. They would want to spread their net wide, to claim questions to be coming from their material. But then, what is the point of classes then, if they cant be specific.
2.Notes they do provide and sometimes  in classes they read out of it. Now, I dont understand why a literate and intelligent person would join this book reading club, One could easily pickup this stuff(often trash) from the streets for much lesser price. Plus you could finish reading it in 1 couple of days and the classes would run that module for a week.
3.There is no follow up on your progress. You are sitting in huge classrooms where teacher might not even by visible, but is audible from speaker right next to your seat in corner of the large room. You could ask a doubt and the teacher might answer but more than often you would get better answers from Google search.
4. Tests are promised but often the classes find it uneconomical to run tests(as the teachers in this business drain away much of the revenues) and the few tests that do take place are hardly in line with upsc style or level of questioning.

So, investing in the big name classes is a colossal waste of money. The only argument left would be that some topper came from some class, so there might be something in it. But again, if you look at the resources provided by classes, anywhere do you find that the classes are substantively contributing to anyone's preparation? So, clearly success in this exam comes largely from self study.
I personally believe in going for a good test series(no classes) and buying material off the streets, to save time, money, heartburn.

The true problem:
I think the actual problem is two dimensional--psychological and economical. Aspirants have doubts in their mind about their ability to succeed in this shape-shifting examination process. To ease their mind, they seek the comfort of joining a herd, going to classes. Classes take it up a notch, by not only selling dream of success, but glorious dream of becoming a topper in the very first attempt(after joining classes of course). Now, that psychological supply demand is matched, economic movement occurs.Funny thing is, the classes tell you the same funde you might hear from a friend, senior, etc but now as you have paid money, you would listen(more intently).
I have seen people so blinded by this faith in classes, that they make "ignorance is bliss" their motto in preparation. That is ignorance about the whole thing. Classes unload their junk, and these blind mice/junkies just lap it up. On the contrary, I feel we should aim to  be aware. This is like the medieval style of unilateral information dispensation in schooling. Where is critical thinking? In absence of thinking and analysis, there is only regurgitation of little that is gathered from class notes and there is the whining about how UPSC is so random in questions.
Well, it is random but I would any day be satisfied to have fought the battle with my own weapons and not some borrowed fuski bombs. But then that is just me.

I have strongly worded my critique of classes here, because I was not advised strongly against joining classes. But I feel obliged and want to repeat, do not join any classroom programs unless you have problem reading and comprehending English.

Ab rahi baat first attempt ki... When I came into this game, I realized that we start from different points on the learning curve. I had no general knowledge whatsoever, but I could solve equations, imagine structures and engg problems very well. So, I was much behind in race compared to someone who has been reading Nehru, Gandhi, news since childhood or even college. I started reading newspapers after coming to Delhi for prep. So, lets just say that those who clear in first attempt have done relevant homework. Now, it is on each person, how long it takes to catch up. Besides, I believe in making it through competence and not just some shortcut and luck. Of course, jo jeeta wo sikandar, baki sab bandar. Par theek hai, bandar bhi kabhi to evolve hoke topper ban hi jaega. To anyone who is joining the game, I would say, don't expect guarantees/approval from anyone in market. One can seek opinion but always try to put your heart into the process and follow it. Look at me, gyaan to aise de raha hu, as if I am the topper. But, I feel bad when I see so many people with their heart in the right place not making it, because they have a storm running in their mind. Naturally they fall in trap of classes, money and giving up responsibility of preparation on these classes, they seek "other" pleasures in life.

On Republic day and on every other day, lets remember the kids back in 1900s who without any guarantees of success, had a vision in their mind, faith in themselves and hope in India. Lets not disappoint their blood that runs in our veins. Jai Hind

1 comment: