Blogger boggle

Welcome to Opengyan!

For resources related to preparation for examinations conducted by UPSC, go to this link : Start

Opinions shared here are personal and not related to my professional position or capacity. Aim is to work on improving lives of people, with truth and service.

Sunday 26 June 2016

Mech Engg

I have already written much about nature of mechanical engineering as an optional, book list etc. (On Mech for CSE) At risk of repeating myself, I want to present here, how I went about building up my material for the subject.
It was an evolution. Step1 was as soon as I came to Delhi. I bought a booklet with all previous year questions(20 years) on Mech. Then, I thought of mapping them out. So, I made MS-Word pages with yearwise Q numbers 1-8. Then in each box, I would write down topic name of that question. Then I color coded, to see if there is a pattern. Then, I realized this is turning out to be a kindergarten exercise.(took 10 days) But, it helped me in getting a picture and moving to next stage.
Step2, I started writing down questions on A4 sheets, 1 page 1 question, using ref no. like 2008A1b20 that would mean year 2008 Section A Qno. 1(b) of  20 marks. Further I started grouping these questions into major topic folders.(took about 15 days) When this was done for 10 years 2003-2013, I then started trying to solve them.
So, this was my ground work. I would take a look at the questions, then go read the book, come back to questions and try to solve them, realize I have read irrelevant sections, search for reading material on net, search the question itself on net and then try to solve as many questions as I can. This step took me forever. I have not completely solved all questions till date.
Step3, evolved out of step2, though without end of step2. I started segregating questions within a topic, according to subtopic. Then I realized that there are certain types of questions and certain subtopics which are often asked. This gave speed to my prep and also confidence that "itna kar liya, to kuch to milega".
That is it. I have lot of topicwise books on mech, but backbone of my prep, was these stacks of sheet tied together topicwise and collected subtopicwise, which would help me revise the subject with ease.

When I was asked for these notes/approach by my fellow warriors, for a second, I had hesitated. But I would then give it them. I must say, till now whoever has taken these notes and appeared for mains, have scored more than me in Mech :) (shameless smile) But they have returned the favor by pouring best wishes on me. I thank them, and as promised, would like to share all the notes(however incomplete they are) here. Please bear with the unsolved questions. The least you get is organized structure, the best is a correctly solved question :D

Paper1
SOM strength of materials -- upload complete
Theory of machines -- upload complete
Machine Design -- is not a heavy topic in CSE, so I have clubbed it with TOM
Industrial Engineering -- upload complete
Materials  --upload complete
Manufacturing Science  -- upload complete

Paper2
BThm Basic thermodynamics -- upload complete
Heat mass transfer -- upload complete
IC engines 1 , IC Engines 2 -- upload complete
RAC refrigeration and air conditioning,    RAC part 2 -- upload complete
Gas Dynamics and Fluid dynamics -- upload complete
Powerplants, Steam generation, Fans blowers -- upload complete

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I can help you with the unsolved questions. Great work though!
    I am serious 2017-CSE aspirant.

    ReplyDelete